Personal Data Policy
Who are we?
Scottish Water is a public corporation created by the Water Industry (Scotland) Act (2002), which provides water and waste water services in Scotland. There are a number of other trading companies that form part of Scottish Water’s group of companies. Scottish Water is registered in the United Kingdom under the Data Protection Act 1998, number Z6561121. Scottish Water’s trading companies have their own registration under the Data Protection Act 1998. For details of the registration of SW and the trading companies, please:
1. visit Information Commissioner’s Office’s website at www.ico.gov.uk;
2. look for the Register of Data Controllers;
3. click on “Search the Register”;
4. in the search box insert “Scottish Water”;
5. click on the results which will take you to the notifications for Scottish Water and the trading companies forming part of the Scottish Water group.
How do we collect Personal Information?
We collect personal information about you, when you contact us (such as by phone, email or letter), for example, to make an application or a complaint. We may collect personal data from a range of other sources such as:
- when you agree to take a service form us (e.g. your name, address, payment method);
- from information you voluntarily provide (for example in a competition or a survey); and
- from publicly available sources, such as the electoral register
How do we use Personal Information?
We will use personal information that you provide to us or which we collect about you (for example through the website) to:
1) deal with the matter arising from your contact with Scottish Water;
2) to administer our business or that of our group companies including accounts, services and products;
3) to maintain and update public registers;
4) for assessment, statistical analysis or research and development purposes (market, customers and product analysis) so that we can review, develop and improve the services which we offer
5) to help us to provide you with the relevant information through our marketing plan so that information about water related services or products, for example, water saving devices or water audits, either from us or from our carefully selected partners, are appropriate to your needs
6) to provide 'aggregated' statistical information to regulators and reputable third parties (this information will not allow anyone to be personally identified);
7) assessing customer satisfaction;
8) if we have a duty to do so or if the law allows us to do so, for example, to investigate or prevent a potential breach of water or sewerage law, to prevent fraud or assist law enforcement agencies or regulators.
Where you contact us about a matter involving a company that forms part of Scottish Water’s group of companies, we may share your personal information with that group company in order to deal with your matter.
Where you contact us about a matter involving a Scottish Water Solutions 2 Limited, we may share your personal data with Scottish Water Solutions Limited in order to deal with your matter.
As part of normal operations, we use the services of external companies to provide us with services, for example, if you call us to inform us about a sewer choke or a water burst, we may use contractors to investigate the issue. Where we use external companies, we may need to give your personal data to them, for example, to inform you of the outcome of the investigation into a sewer choke or water burst.We only share personal data with external companies who are providing a service to us under a contract.
We will not sell your personal data. We will also not use your personal data (contact information such as name and telephone number) to market non-water related products or services without your express consent.
If you have signed up to receive marketing information from us, then we shall use your personal data to send you information about Scottish Water, our group companies and our products or services.
Monitoring and recording of calls
We do record and may monitor calls to our Contact Centre in order to keep a record of the discussion, to provide you with the highest quality of service, for training, to ensure compliance with our policies and procedures, for security purposes and for any lawful purpose.
As part of normal operations, we use the services of external companies to provide us with services, for example, if you call us to inform us about a sewer choke or a water burst, we may use contractors to investigate the issue. Where we use external companies, we may need to give your personal data (contact information such as name and telephone number) to them, for example, to inform you of the outcome of the investigation into a sewer choke or water burst. We only share personal data with external companies who are providing a service to us under a contract.
We give you the opportunity to indicate if you do NOT wish to hear about other water related products and services from Scottish Water. This is done by unsubscribing at the relevant point on any communications we may send to you or by telephoning our Customer Helpline on 0800 0778 778.
You may revise the choice that you have made at any time by writing to us or calling us to inform us of your decision or by logging on to the website and updating your communication preferences.
You have the right of access to your personal records held on our files by written request to:
P.O. Box 8855
on payment of a fee.