Drink Water To Stay Healthy
The health benefits of drinking water
Water is essential to the growth and maintenance of your body and is crucial to your general health and well-being.
The World Health Organisation describes water as a basic nutrient of the human body which is critical to life. The Food Standards Agency advise that we take around 1.5 to 2 litres of water in a typical day, the equivalent to 6 to 8 250ml glasses.
- Water does not contain sugar so choosing to drink water over sugary or carbonated drinks helps you have healthier teeth, and drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water each day helps to keep your bones, hair and nails healthy.
- Drinking water before, during and after physical activity helps you stay alert and have extra energy. Healthy and hydrated muscle tissue is around 75% water and drinking 6-8 glasses every day can help prevent tiredness and cramps.
- Your brain tissue is around 85% water, drinking 6-8 glasses of water every day helps you have better memory and concentration. Results have shown that your performance, both academically and creatively, is increased when you drink water throughout your day.
- Healthy skin is around 70% water, but it is the last organ in your body to benefit from your body’s supply of water. Drinking 6-8 glasses of water every day helps you have soft, firm skin and it can help prevent the appearance of fine lines and spots.
Drinking more water from dawn to dusk
- When you wake, start the day as you mean to go on, with a glass of water.
- Keep water with you, have a jug, glass or sports bottle of fresh water with you, to keep yourself hydrated throughout your day.
- Eat more fresh fruit and vegetables, as well as having other health benefits they also have a high water content that will top up your daily intake.
- Water is the main ingredient of all drinks, so they actually contribute to your recommended daily fluid intake, but drinking plain tap water is still the most effective and cheapest way of replacing lost fluids from your body.
- Try and replace some of your traditional drinks with a glass of chilled water, you could start of by replacing one of your drinks once a day and then build on this until you are drinking your 6-8 glasses each day.
- Chill your water, keep a jug or sports water bottle of tap water in the fridge. Not only will the cool water refresh you but chilling your water can help reduce any smell or taste of chlorine from your water.
- A glass of water suits all circumstances! Drink it warm when it's cold outside and cold when the weather's hot