Water Mains Investment for Dundee's Laird Street
A £470,000 project to improve the water network serving Dundee’s Laird Street will commence on 12 July 2021. A total of 1km of new water main will be installed during the project, with the first phase focusing on the section between the MacAlpine Road roundabout to St Boswells Terrace.
The work, which will be delivered on a rolling programme along Laird Street until October 2021, is to improve the resilience of the network and help reduce the risk of bursts. It is being delivered by our alliance partner Caledonia Water Alliance (CWA).
At a Glance
- Network Resilience
- £470k investment
- Delivered by Caledonia Water Alliance
- Expected completion October 2021
Laird Street water mains improvement
The project will be delivered in five phases as part of a rolling programme.
What We Are DoingThe project will be delivered in five consecutive phases:
- Phase One will focus on the stretch between the MacAlpine Road roundabout to St Boswells Terrace. Work will start on 12 July and last approx. four weeks. Three-way traffic lights and a lane closure will be in place at the roundabout, while the St Albans Terrace junction with Laird St will also be closed.
- Phase Two will see work continue between St Boswell Terrace and Drumlithie Place and will last approx. four weeks. The St Boswells Terrace and Kingsmuir Park junctions with Laird Street will be closed.
- Phase Three will take place between Drumlithie Place and Catterline Crescent, lasting approx. three weeks. The St Clements Place and St Dennis Place junctions with Laird Street will be closed.
- Phase Four will see work continue between Catterline Crescent and Sidlaw Avenue, lasting approx. one week. The Catterline Crescent junction with Laird Street will be closed, with access via Benholm Place, while the St Dennis Place junction with Laird Street will also be closed.
- Phase Five will take place from Sidlaw Avenu to Dalmahoy Drive and is expected to last approx. one week.
Traffic management is needed to allow the work to be carried out safely and advance signage is in place on the routes affected to highlight these measures.
Access to properties will be maintained, however parking within the work areas will be restricted during this time. Within each phase of work, residents in Laird Street will not have access to driveways or on street parking during the working day. Access will be available after 5pm each night and before 8am the next morning.
We kindly request that vehicles are removed each morning prior to works starting each day and not left parked on the street within the road closure. This is to allow the works to be carried out as safely as possible and to avoid any unnecessary delays.
Local vehicle access to Sidlaw Crescent, Catterline Crescent, Benholm Place and Drumlithie Place will be maintained during the works.
Access for emergency vehicles will be maintained at all times. Pedestrian access will not be affected.
We would like to thank the local community and road users for their patience and understanding while this essential work is carried out.
Why We Are Doing This
The work will reduce the risk of bursts on the network and those properties impacted by associated flooding, helping to improve our service to the local community.
We are working with the local community in Laird Street and surrounding area, including local schools, to minimise disruption as far as possible during this challenging project and to keep them updated on progress.