Balerno Bridge CSO
What we are doing
- We are installing a new CSO (Combined Sewer Overflow) with a static screen and associated pipework including a new outfall and headwall.
- Ahead of the main construction works due to start mid-May, we will be carrying out some tree felling work in land next to Malleny Garden. This is to ensure a safe working area to be able to carry out the necessary upgrades.
- Work will start on 1st March for 5 days. During this time a section of road on Malleny Garden will be closed between 8am and 5pm. Outwith these times the road will be opened up again. The map below shows the road closure in red and the CSO location in grey.
- Emergency access will be accommodated during the works and we will assist with bin collections so residents should put their bins out as normal.
- There will be pedestrian access to Harlaw Gait via Saw Pit Wood from the top of the National Trust car park to Balerno Village.
- School children will still have access to the High School via the Rugby Club.
- We will engageing with the community ahead of the main constructions works in May
Why we are doing this work
- These works are part of our overall investment to improve the environment in and around the Water of Leith
- We are upgrading the CSOs to help prevent items which are wrongly flushed down the toilet - from overflowing into the Water of Leith
Tree felling works
Road closure on Malleny Garden shown in red. New CSO location shown in grey.