Biomass Boilers have been installed on several of our sites and are achieving impressive results in renewable heating.
These boilers use organic matter (typically wood-based) as fuel to replace fossil-fuelled heating systems.
Installing biomass schemes at our treatment works helps reduce our reliance on traditional energy sources and lowers our carbon footprint.
It means we can make a significant contribution to Scotland’s national economic, carbon and renewable energy targets.
Benefits of Biomass Boilers
Biomass boilers use heat generated from burning wood pellets, wood chips or logs for heating and hot water.
- They are a renewable and carbon neutral alternative to fossil fuel boilers
- They can lower operating costs to provide energy requirements
- Wood burned only releases as much C02 into the atmosphere as it absorbed while living
- Biomass fuel is sustainable as new trees are planted to replace those used
- Emissions from biomass are lower than levels from fossil fuels