Our 2024 Graduate programme will be open to applications from the 30th October until Midnight on the 17th December 2023. Please apply early as we may need to bring forward the closing date for roles that receive massive levels of interest.
Follow the link HERE for more info and to apply.
Our graduate programmes are designed to build on your strengths and talents and develop the skills you’ll need to make a fantastic start to your career.
We provide graduates with opportunities to realise their full potential and utilise their talent to make a positive difference to our business.
At Scottish Water, we have two graduate programmes:
- Specialist Graduate Programme - specific disciplines are required, these will be detailed in the advertisement information for the role and will be specific to the area of the business the role will be based.
- Management Graduate Programme - may require a specific discipline which will be detailed in the job advertisement. Typically, we look for someone with a STEM related background as it is suited to the area of the business that your placement will take place.
Graduate Programmes Supporting Information
Get more detail on our two types of Graduate Programmes including entry criteria, rewards and benefits and how we'll support your progression in your new career.Learn more
Graduate Application Process
Find out more about our graduate application processLearn more
Depending on your role, the programme will be either 2 or 3 years long and will include a series of rotational placements. This could mean you participate in a variety of projects or move into different areas of the department.
Towards the end of your programme, we will identify opportunities discuss these in line with your career preferences to ensure we get a fit that’s best for you and Scottish Water.
After the end of your graduate programme, it is expected that you are actively ambitious and looking to move within the company. We’ll continue to support you with this wherever possible and rest assured the development doesn’t end when the graduate programme does!
Our Approach to Learning means that you will learn and develop in three ways:
- On the Job. This could include placements, projects and taking part in additional activities. These give you the opportunity to build business knowledge and internal networks.
- Learning from Others. This could include mentoring and coaching but may also include spending time with people with expertise in a specific area. Your fellow graduates will have different strengths to you, so you can also learn from each other.
- Formal Training. This will either be training that your cohort of graduates will all undertake together or training specific to your role or business area. This will cover, Technical Skills, People Skills and Professional Skills.
You will have a Development Manager, who will act as your coach and mentor throughout your programme. They will help you create a development plan and identify learning opportunities. They will make recommendations for your placements and your permanent role after the graduate programme ends.
Working at Scottish Water
We take employee engagement very seriously and have an inclusive and collaborative work environment where we respect people’s differences. We are committed to creating an engaging environment and a positive experience for our employees and we have an inclusive and collaborative work environment.
We are passionate about creating opportunities for young people and are proud to have achieved the Gold standard in the Investors in Young People accreditation, demonstrating our commitment to creating rewarding opportunities for young people.
We were recognised as a Top 10 Flexible Employer in Scotland at the Flexibility Works Awards 2021 and take great pride in being an inclusive employer. You can find more about our awards and memberships in the area of Diversity and Inclusion here.
You will have access to a host of benefits which include 38 days holiday a year, a defined benefit pension scheme, a discounted medical cash plan and cycle to work, plus a variety of agile working arrangements and family-friendly policies designed to support your wellbeing. For more information about our benefits, please click here.
Recruitment Retention of Data
Please note that candidate records greater than 12 months will be automatically removed from our system records.