Kyle of Lochalsh Lead Pipe Replacement
We are carrying out a programme of work to identify and replace any remaining lead pipes in the area served by Kyle Water Treatment Works (WTW). This area extends from Glenshiel to Kyleakin and up to Stromeferry, encompassing around 2,200 homes and businesses in total.
The work involves an extensive programme of water quality sampling, which will be divided into eight phases. Customers in each phase will be contacted via letter and encouraged to make an appointment for a water sample to be taken from their property.
This will enable us to locate any properties that may have lead present within the final section of Scottish Water pipework connecting them to the public water network, or within the supply pipe and plumbing belonging to individual property owners.
Work is expected to continue for around two years, with our contractors RPS and Morrison Construction working progressively through each of the eight areas. We will continue to engage with customers in various ways, including in-person events, while work is ongoing.
The project looks to inform customers who have lead pipes and support their replacement.
Why we are carrying out this work
The goal of this project is to inform customers who have lead pipes and support their replacement.
As well as being beneficial for customers, this work has the potential to simplify the water treatment process at Kyle WTW – one element of which is designed to minimise the potential impact of lead pipes on water quality at customers’ taps.
- Phase 1 got underway in November 2023 and is progressing steadily, with almost 60% of properties within Invershiel sampled. Work is on-going to make contact with the remaining customers who have not yet responded to make an appointment. An information event was held before sampling began to allow residents find out more about the project.
- Phase 2, which covers Dornie, Ardelve and Bundalloch, is set to get underway in February 2024. A further information event is being held for residents at Inverinate Village Hall on 1 February between 3pm and 7pm.
Future phases will include the following places:
- Phase 3 - Drumbuie, Duirinish, Balmacara and Auchtertyre
- Phase 4 - Properties to the south of Plockton
- Phase 5 - Achmore and Stromeferry
- Phase 6 - Kyle
- Phase 7 - Kyleakin
- Phase 8 - Plockton
The project will be divided into eight phases, with customers encouraged to make an appointment for water quality sampling to be carried out.