You and Your Pipes 

A burst pipe stops water supply to your taps. It can also cause flooding and damage to your property. 

Within the home a burst pipe is your responsibility to fix. It should be fixed immediately. 

We support and promote the WaterSafe scheme – a dedicated online search facility to help you find the nearest qualified plumbing and heating professionals in your area. 

Please always use a licensed plumber.

Scottish and Northern Ireland Plumbing Employers’ Federation (SNIPEF) runs the Plumbing Industry Licensing Scheme which is part of WaterSafe.

To find a licensed plumber in your area visit: 

WaterSafe at


Pipework diagram

For further information regarding water pipework please see our Guide to Water Pipework booklet.

Watch Our How-to Guides on Looking After Your Pipes

How to find your stop valve

How to insulate your pipes

What to do if you have a burst pipe

What to do if you have a frozen pipe