Marchmont Road Edinburgh
This investment project will help reduce the risk of flooding to properties in the Marchmont area of Edinburgh. It is increasing the capacity of the sewer network and will benefit a number of residents who have been affected by flooding.
The project is to be delivered by our alliance partners Caledonia Water Alliance and is expected to take around 18 months to complete
At a glance
- Started: September 2022
- Flood prevention
- Delivered by Caledonia Water Alliance
- Approx. duration: 18 months
Bruntsfield Links Storm Tank - Drone
Latest Update - December 2023
The works site will close down for the Christmas holidays from Friday 22nd December until Monday 8th January. However, the traffic management on Marchmont Road needs to remain in place due to the excavations in the road.
Sewer upgrade works - Marchmont Road
We the area of roadworks southwards on the southbound carriageway were extended as of October 2023. We are currently tunnelling under Marchmont Road to connect the sewer pipes to the new tank on the Bruntsfield Link side. This has enabled us to work under a lane closure rather than a full road closure which has minimised disruption.
- The extended section of the southbound carriageway of Marchmont Road will be closed until the end of March 2024. The closure will be in place between the junction with Melville Drive (A700) to the south of Warrender Park Terrace.
- Traffic management will remain in place over the Christmas period
- A diversion route will be in place via Argyle Place, Roseneath Street and Marchmont Crescent.
- The northbound side of Marchmont Road will remain unaffected.
- Roseneath Place will remain open via Marchmont Crescent and Warrender Park Road
- The junction of Warrender Park Terrace and Marchmont Road will be closed with a diversion via Spottiswood Street and Warrender Park Road.
- Some parking restrictions will be in place near the working area.
- Some bus stops in the road closure area will be temporarily suspended. Please check with the local bus companies for further information on how services will be affected.
- To see the traffic management plan showing the diversions CLICK HERE
Works at Meadow Place
- Meadow Place is now open. However, the junction with Marchmont Road will remain closed until the end of the year as work continues on Marchmont Road. A diversion will be in place via Marchmont Crescent and Warrender Park Road
Works at Marchmont Crescent - Temporary Reinstatement
We have temporarily backfilled the road surface as works will be moving to focus on Marchmont Road.
We will return at the start of 2024 to continue our sewer pipe laying and reinstate the cobbles back.
City of Edinburgh Council have confirmed that that the dispensation that was put in place as a result of Covid-19 restriction still remains in place - This dispensation allows permit holders with a valid residents’ parking permit to park in pay and display parking places within their own zone. This information is included on the parking home page on their website: www.edinburgh.gov.uk/parking
Please note that some dates are subject to change.
Storm tank construction at Bruntsfield Links:
- Work is continuing on pouring the concrete for the base of the underground tank. Following this the central column will be installed, and finally the roof will be installed.
- We will require to use a crane for lifting the segments into the tank. We do not anticipate this work to be very noisy. You may notice an increase in work vehicles to the site on some days when deliveries are getting made for the tank.
Parking on Warrender Park Terrace
We are trialling a temporary lifting of the parking restrictions out-with the site working hours on Warrender Park Terrace to help alleviate parking issues in this area. Vehicles should be kept clear of the area between the hours 7.30am - 5.30pm.
If successful we will continue this arrangement for the duration of the project.
The site hoarding has a special wrap informing customers of why we are carrying out the work
The hoarding incorporates Scottish Water campaign messages as well as information about the project
What we are doing
- The project involves installing new larger sewer pipes along sections of Marchmont Crescent and a small part of Marchmont Road, with an underground storm overflow tank which will be 15m wide by 20m deep
- 2 Control kiosks to be installed adjacent to Warrender Park Terrace. See updated planning drawings for exact location
- During construction there will be site cabins situated next to the location of the tank on the Bruntsfield Links
- All planning drawings are available to view/download via the link further down the page
Marchmont Project Documents
Click the button below to view information and planning docs for the projectView Documents Page
Why we are doing it
A number of properties in the area have previously been affected by sewer flooding.
The work being done here will increase the capacity of the local waste water network and will provide extra storage during heavy rainfall.
This improvement project will help reduce the risk of flooding in the area.